Hello World! Losing an earring down the sink can be a nightmare! One that feels completely hopeless, but the most important thing is not to worry. There are things that you can do, you may be able to rescue the item (although it’ll probably need a wash once you’ve got it back!) The most important thing to begin with is to turn off your water supply as quickly as possible so the jewelry does not get flushed into the main sewer line.
Once you have done this, you can call in an expert, such as those at Plumbing Detectives to solve the problem for you as quickly as possible, or you can have a go at retrieving the item yourself. Emergency plumbers, such as these, are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you with events such as this.
However, you may wish to have a go at finding the earring yourself first. If this is the case, then you can try using a coat hanger to retrieve the item if it hasn’t fallen too far down into the plumbing, saving you from taking the sink apart. But if that doesn’t work, and you can’t find your earring, you will want to examine the P Trap and J Bend, as chances are this is where the item is.
You will then want to follow this step by step guide:
- Wear rubber gloves – you’re about to get very messy!
- Place a bucket under the J Bend and P Trap to prevent spillage.
- Unscrew the slip nuts and remove the washers (be sure to put them somewhere safe – it’s best not to lose these).
- Move the J Bend to check inside there, and in the P Trap. It’s very likely the earring is in there. If not, you might need outside help.
- Reverse this procedure to put the sink back together – ensure that everything is fully tightened to make sure that you don’t leave a leak behind. You don’t want to replace one issue with another.
In fact, it’s very important to keep your whole bathroom and water safe to prevent loss or accident in the future. Here are some tips for you:
- Keep the plug in the sink, and the toilet seat down to prevent future loss.
- Use slip resistant mats to prevent a fall.
- Avoid water build up on the floor – mop regularly and keep the room well ventilated.
- Keep electrical items out of the bathroom – or at the very least away from any water source.
- Keep medication well out of reach of children…
- …the same goes for any cleaning chemicals.
- Ensure your bathroom is well lit.
- Regulate your water temperature to prevent yourself or anyone in your family from getting burned.
- Install ground fault electrical outlets to prevent electrocution. The circuit in these will trip once shorted.
- Ensure everything is attached safely – nothing should be unsteady or wobbly when it is held onto.
Thank you for stopping by for a visit. The second installment of the Grilling Series will be live this afternoon; and the Anything Blue Friday party will be live tonight at 8:00PM.
Have a great day/night! Go with God and remember to be kind to one another!